Benefit Cosmetics pays particular attention to the processing, confidentiality and safety of your personal data.
Benefit Cosmetics LTD, a Perfume & Cosmetics company with headquarters located at Marconi Building, New Street, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 1PH, registered in the England & Wales trade and companies register under no. 03922046, and Benefit Cosmetics a Limited Liability Company with headquarters located at 225 Bush Street San Francisco, 20th Floor, California 94104 (hereinafter “Benefit Cosmetics”), are the data controllers of personal data collected on the website www.benefitcosmetics.com/en-gb in the sense of regulations applying to personal data, in particular Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and the free movement of such data (hereinafter the "GDPR").
I. What is personal data?
Personal data is any information about an identified physical person or a physical person that may be directly or indirectly identified via an identification number or one or more elements particular to them, such as their last name, first name, date of birth, customer number, order number, photo, etc.
II. When can we collect your personal data?
We can collect your personal data when you:
- Create a customer account on our website, apps, or in our stores;
- Order goods from our website;
- Allow us to track your location;
- Make purchases in stores;
- Join our loyalty program;
- Use our online services, such as the chat service;
- Agree to receive personalized marketing communications from us by email, telephone, SMS or post, depending on your selection;
- Answer surveys or satisfaction questionnaires based on your customer experience;
- Your publications/ mentions of our products on social networks;
- Interact with our Maison via its official page on social networks or when we suggest re-use of content that you have published on a social network;
- Contact our customer service;
- Send requests for information to our Maison;
- Take part in an event we organise;
- Enter a sweepstake, contest, competition or other promotion;
- When you leave a review on the website;
- When you use digital experiences such as the Virtual Beauty Technology: Virtual Try-On tool: virtual eyebrow trial and/or virtual make-up trial (if you choose to use this technology);
- When you use the Boi-ing Concealer Shade Finder feature (if you choose to use this technology);
- When you book a beauty appointment on the website;
- Browse on the Internet using cookies or similar technology or when you click on advertisements for our products.
Visitors to the website who browse our products, information and offers may choose to do so without identifying themselves, as well as for point-of-sale searches and social networking.
III. What personal data might we collect?
- As part of the services we provide, we may need to collect certain data directly from you using electronic forms on our website, mobile apps or in selected stores, or in paper form, for a range of purposes (see IV for a list of processing purposes) which are limited to those that are relevant and appropriate for that interaction.
Information we might collect includes:
- Your identity;
- Your contact details (e.g. email address);
- Your personal preferences in relation to the products we market or to our website (language);
- Your date of birth in order to benefit from eligible birthday offers (for example: according to your loyalty program)
- Information relating to your orders, their tracking and your purchase invoices;
- Information you may provide for our customer service;
- Specific health data if you notify us of any undesirable side-effects concerning any of our products;
- Your bank details if you place an order via our website;
- Reviews of our products published on the site;
- Your photos/images while using the Virtual Try-On tool: virtual eyebrow trial and/or virtual make-up trial;
We do not store any of your data, photos or information collected during this feature are deleted no more than 2 hours after your virtual experience is complete.
- Your photos/images while using the Boi-ing Concealer Shade Finder;
Your image is stored on your device while the feature is in use and is deleted when you close the feature.
- Your allergies in the case of a beauty appointment;
- Your publications/mentions relating to our products on social networks.
Personal data essential to Benefit Cosmetics is marked with an asterisk on all personal data collection forms on our website, in electronic form at some of our counters and stores, as well as off-line in paper form. If you do not fill in these compulsory fields, Benefit Cosmetics will probably be unable to respond to your request and/or provide you with the requested services. Other information is optional and enables us to get to know you better and improve our communications and services with respect to you.
During your purchase journey, you will be able to choose between i) logging into your existing Benefit Cosmetics account, ii) creating a new account, or iii) paying as a Guest. This last purchasing experience is thus summarized as follows. Payment for purchases as a Guest refers to the possibility for any Benefit Cosmetics customer or prospect to make a purchase in our online store without logging into an account. Your information is collected for the process of payment and delivery of items or for Benefit Cosmetics in order to comply with applicable laws. Your information may also be used for analytical purposes by Benefit Cosmetics and for communication purposes via its preferred channel (for example: sending a general newsletter relating to the news of our Maison by email for which you have the right to object). For more information on these purposes, please go to the section "For what purpose is your personal data collected and used?".
- We may also collect certain data generated by your purchases of products or services, online or in stores, particularly information regarding the amount and type of your purchases.
If you apply for a job with our Maison via our website, we may collect the following information:
- Your identity;
- Your contact details;
- Your Curriculum Vitae;
- Your application letter.
As this data concerns your application, please inform us in writing of any changes to your contact details or, more generally, to your career and employment situation, to help us to manage your application efficiently.
We invite you to ensure that your data is regularly updated, either by modifying it directly on our sites or by informing us in writing of any modification by referring to the dedicated section " X. What are your rights and how can you exercise them? ".
IV. For what purpose is your personal data collected and used?
Benefit Cosmetics processes your data to:
- Enable you to create a customer account on our website, applications and at our counters and in our stores;
- Manage your access to your customer account on the Internet or our applications;
- Connect you to external, third party applications, such as when you create an account using an external application such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, or Twitter;
- Process and manage your online orders and their delivery;
- Record purchases made at our counters or in our stores;
- Secure online transactions, prevent fraud, payment incidents and manage debt collection (see our terms and conditions for more details) ;
- Manage customer relations with respect to any requests for information or complaints you may send us via our website, customer service or social network pages;
- Manage our loyalty program;
- Trace and manage any alerts you may send us as part of our cosmetic vigilance obligations;
- Manage and optimise your customer experience by improving our knowledge of our customers;
- Propose appropriate, tailored services, particularly when we enhance our products and services;
- Conduct statistical analyses to develop management, measuring and reporting tools in order to adjust and improve our sales, marketing and product manufacturing;
- Manage your participation in any events to which you have signed up;
- To make it easier for you to see what the product you have chosen would look like on you (when using the Virtual Try-On tool);
- To find your shade (when using the Boi-ing Concealer Shade Finder);
- Manage your beauty appointment;
- Manage any online job applications;
- Carry out audience analysis or statistics;
- To analyse our brand performance on social networks in order to produce statistical analysis (market research, brand influence and campaign analysis);
- Publish your review on our website;
- Promote our Maison ;
- Manage your participation in the events (sweepstakes, contests or competitions) for which you register;
- Subject to your consent, use product reviews left on the site for brand communications via email or social networks;
- Send a generic newsletter: you have the right to object if you no longer wish to receive it
- Subject to your free, specific, informed and unambiguous consent: to send you personalised information according to the communication preferences you have indicated to us and use third party services to personalise your profile.
In the latter interaction, when we send personalised communications or content, we may use so-called profiling techniques. For the sake of transparency within this Policy, profiling is defined as any form of automated processing of personal data that consists of using that personal data to evaluate certain personal aspects relating to a natural person, in particular to analyse or predict elements concerning the preferences, interests, behaviour, location of that natural person. In these circumstances, you have the right to withdraw your consent.
V. What legal grounds legitimise the processing of your data?
Benefit Cosmetics processes your personal information:
- to perform the contract agreed between yourself and Benefit Cosmetics, to manage your access to your customer account, your integration into our loyalty program and to process and track your orders;
- Our legitimate interest: for example, to improve our products and services, to defend ourselves, to secure our tools or to refine our customer knowledge through our third party partners' tools and in particular to:
- to define the personalised profile of our customers based on their interests and to provide them with relevant offers of our brand on other websites;
- identify audiences similar to our target audience (in order to deliver our offers to audiences of people with similar profiles to our customers).
- when you have given your consent for the processing of your data, especially for the purposes of managing our personalized sales prospection, and of your browsing data via cookies, etc.
- within the framework of compliance with our legal obligations, particularly fiscal obligations (conserving purchase invoices) and cosmetic vigilance with regard to Regulation (EU) 1223/2009 of 30 November 2009 on cosmetic products.
VI. Who are the recipients of your personal data?
Your personal data is processed by the personnel of Benefit Cosmetics. We ensure that only authorised persons within Benefit Cosmetics have access to your personal data when this is necessary for the purpose of managing our commercial relations or meeting our legal obligations.
We may also disclose your personal data, if possible in a format that does not allow direct identification, to:
- Others Benefit Cosmetics entities and department shops where you buy our products in order to provide you with the same personal service all over the world;
- Other Benefit Cosmetics subsidiaries in Europe or abroad, as well as with our parent company Benefit CosmeticsLLC;
- Other entities of the LVMH Group, with some of these entities acting as data processors;
- Subcontractors, such as:
- site hosting and maintenance service providers and the providers of our electronic personal data collection solutions at counters and in stores;
- payment service providers;
- anti-fraud service providers;
- logistic service providers;
- marketing solution service providers;
- customer service providers;
- service providers for managing cosmetic vigilance alerts;
- event organisation service providers.
- Third parties, including the LVMH Group, who wish to learn about your preferences and patterns of use of our programs and services in order to improve their visibility, accessibility and performance;
- Third parties who carry out statistics relating to our performance on social networks on our behalf;
- Third parties wishing to know your interests so that they can build up similar audiences and target prospects corresponding to your profile. In the context of this specific processing, these partners may re-use the personal data made available to them to carry out autonomous and distinct targeting for commercial prospecting purposes, for which they are responsible, and are responsible for their legal and regulatory obligations.
- Please note that in the context of re-use, these partners act as data controllers. You should therefore refer to their own privacy policies. We illustrate some examples in the table below:
- Third parties in the event of a change of control or a change of status or company name for legal reasons;
- You may also choose to disclose your personal data to our partners, advertisers and affiliates by following a link to and from their websites. Please note that these websites have their own privacy policies;
- We may also offer you the opportunity to use your social network login details. Please note that in this case you share your profile information with us. The personal data shared depends on the configuration of the social network platform. Please note that these social networks have their own privacy policies.
With your consent, data regarding your job application may be shared with other companies of the Benefit Cosmetics and of the LVMH Group worldwide, for recruitment purposes.
Lastly, Benefit Cosmetics may need to share your personal data with third parties to meet its legal, regulatory or treaty obligations, or to respond to requests from authorised legal authorities.
VII. How do we ensure the protection and confidentiality of your data?
The security measures we have in place are evaluated and updated to meet new threats and challenges, as well as new legal requirements in the countries where we operate.
We require our partners and group companies to maintain a similar level of protection for your personal data as we do. We take reasonable precautions to ensure the confidentiality and security of your data. We prevent your data from being distorted, damaged, destroyed or accessed by unauthorised third parties.
Your bank details are not transmitted unencrypted on the servers of Benefit Cosmetics. Payments are made via a secure payment platform, supplemented by control measures, in order to guarantee the security of purchases made on Benefit Cosmetics website and to fight against fraud.
The details of your payment card communicated at the time of your order are never accessible in clear text on the network: they are encrypted using the SSL (Secure Socket Layer) protocol.
In addition, the security measures we have adopted are proportionate to the sensitivity of the particular data collected. For example, any photos or images linked to the Virtual Try-On tool and Shade Finder, when visible to us during a session.
VIII. Data transfers abroad
Because Benefit Cosmetics operates in many countries around the world and in order to provide you with a personalised service worldwide, some of your data may be collected, accessed or stored outside your country of residence.
You should be aware that data protection and security requirements differ from place to place and may not provide the same level of protection as in your home country.
You are informed that your data may be transferred for the purposes mentioned above to companies located in countries outside the European Union which have a lower level of data protection than the UK. Prior to the transfer outside the UK, Benefit Cosmetics will take all necessary measures and guarantees to secure such transfers.
Data may also be processed by staff operating outside the UK who work for us or for one of our service providers.
IX. How long do we keep your data?
The legal retention periods defined by Benefit Cosmetics comply with the recommendations of the National Authority of your country and/or the legal obligations to which Benefit Cosmetics is subject.
We keep your personal data only for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected, to meet your needs, or to comply with our legal obligations.
In general, your personal data is kept in our database:
- Data subject: Regular customer (i.e.: having a Customer profile)
- Duration: 5 years from the date of the first purchase or account creation
- Specificity: This period will be renewed each time you interact with Benefit Cosmetics (for example a purchase or an update of your profile) or your consent to continue to interact at the end of this period
- Data subject: Prospect (i.e. never purchased products from Benefit Cosmetics but registered for our communications)
- Duration: 3 years from the date of data collection
- Specificity: This period will be renewed each time you interact with Benefit Cosmetics (e.g. participation in an event) or your consent to continue to interact at the end of this period
- Data subject: Client ‘Guest’ (i.e. not having a Client account)
- Duration: 5 years from the date of first purchase
- Specificity: This period will be renewed each time you interact with Benefit Cosmetics (e.g. a purchase)
- Data subject: customer care (i.e.: complaints or information)
- Duration: duration of the processing of the request plus 5 years. For exercises of rights, under GDPR, the request is kept during its treatment plus 6 years
- Data subject: cosmetovigilance
- Duration: duration of the processing of the request plus 10 years in archive
- Data subject: Privileged interlocutors (e.g. agents, stylists, journalist, celebrity managers, artists) in relation to Maison Benefit Cosmetics Public Relations services
- Duration: 10 years from the date of your first contact
- Specificity: This period will be renewed each time you interact with Benefit Cosmetics (for example a request for information on the Benefit Cosmetics)
- Data subject: candidate
- Duration: 2 years from the date of data collection
- Specificity: This period will be renewed each time you interact with Benefit Cosmetics or your consent to continue interacting after this period
If cookies are placed on your computer, we keep them for a maximum of 6 months.
As stated above, when you choose to use our:
- Virtual Try-On tool: virtual eyebrow trial and/or virtual make-up trial: We do not store any of your data, photos or information collected during this feature are deleted no more than 2 hours after your virtual experience is complete;
- Boi-ing Concealer Shade Finder: your image is stored on your device while the feature is in use and is deleted when you close the feature.
When we no longer need to use your personal data, it is deleted from our systems and our registers or made anonymous so that it can no longer be identified, subject to retention for archival purposes. claims and litigation management as well as to meet our legal and / or regulatory obligations and / or to respond to requests from authorities authorized to make the request.
X. What are your rights and how can you exercise them?
In particular, the GDPR provides the following rights:
- Right to information: you have the right to obtain clear, transparent and understandable information about how we use your personal data and about your rights. You will find all of this information in this Statement
- Right of access: you have the right to access the personal data that Benefit Cosmetics holds about you
- Right of rectification: you have the right to have your personal data rectified if it is inaccurate or obsolete and / or to supplement it if it is incomplete
- Right to erasure / right to be forgotten: you have the right to have your data erased or deleted. However, this right may be limited by a legal reason or our legitimate interest in keeping your personal data
- Right of opposition: you can at any time request to no longer receive our communications relating to our offers, news and events. You can in particular use the hypertext link provided for this purpose in each email or communication that we send to you. You can also request to receive non-personalized communications about our products and services
- Right to withdraw consent at any time for data processing based on consent: you can withdraw your consent relating to our processing of your data when this processing is based on consent
- Right to data portability: you have the right to move, copy or transfer data from our database to another. This right only applies to the data you have provided, and provided that the processing is based on a contract or your consent and carried out using automated processes
These rights can be exercised directly with Benefit Cosmetics by e-mail to DPO@benefitcosmetics.com or by post to Benefit Cosmetics, Marconi Building, New Street, Chelmsford, Essex, CM11PH.
You also have the right to contact Benefit Cosmetics's lead data protection authority, the ICO, at any time to lodge a complaint against Benefit Cosmetics. The ICO can be contacted through the following information:
Information, Commissioner’s Office - ICO
Tel. 0303 123 1113
We also wish to inform you about the contacts of other authorities in Europe that you can find and contact on the website of the European Data Protection Board: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_fr
XI. Contact details of the Data Protection Officer (DPO)
For all questions relating to the collection and processing of your data by Benefit Cosmetics you can contact the Benefit Cosmetics Data Protection Officer at Benefit Cosmetics, Marconi Building, New Street, Chelmsford, Essex, CM11PH