Benefit Cosmetics Services Canada Inc pays particular attention to the processing, confidentiality and safety of your personal data.
Benefit Cosmetics Services Canada Inc, a Incorporated company with headquarters located at 2 Bloor Street W, Suite 2000, Toronto, ON M4W 3E2, registered in the Toronto trade and companies register under no. Incorporation # BC0825647; Canadian Federal Tax # 804152411 RC0001, and Benefit Cosmetics a Limited Liability Company with headquarters located at 225 Bush Street San Francisco, 20th Floor, California 94104, USA (hereinafter “Benefit Cosmetics”), is/are the data controller(s) of personal data collected on the website https://www.benefitcosmetics.com/ca/en-gb in the sense of regulations applying to personal data, in particular Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and the free movement of such data (hereinafter the "GDPR").
I. Types of Information Collected.
Personal data is any information about an identified physical person or a physical person that may be directly or indirectly identified via an identification number or one or more elements particular to them, such as their last name, first name, date of birth, customer number, order number, photo, etc.
II. When can we collect your personal data?
We can collect your personal data when you:
- create a customer account on our website, apps, or in our stores;
- order goods from our website;
- allow us to track your location;
- user submitted image for sharing Brows Try on (temporarily, no longer than 2 hours);
- make purchases in stores;
- join our loyalty programme;
- use our online services, such as the chat service;
- agree to opt-in to receive marketing communications from us by email, telephone, web push notifications, SMS or post, depending on your selection;
- answer surveys or satisfaction questionnaires based on your customer experience;
- interact with our Company via its official page on social networks or when we suggest re-use of content that you have published on a social network;
- contact our customer service;
- send requests for information to our Company;
- take part in an event we organise or our partners organise;
- enter a sweepstake, contest, competition or other promotion;
- browse the Internet using cookies or similar technology or when you click on advertisements for our products.
III. What personal data might we collect?
(i) As part of the services we provide, we may need to collect certain data directly from you using electronic forms on our website, mobile apps, in selected stores, or in paper form, for a range of purposes (see IV for a list of processing purposes).
Information we might collect includes:
- Your identity;
- Your contact details (e.g. email address);
- Your personal preferences in relation to the products we market or to our website (e.g. language);
- Information relating to your orders, their tracking and your purchase invoices;
- Information you may provide for our customer service;
- Specific health data if you notify us of any undesirable side-effects concerning any of our products;
- Your bank details if you place an order via our website;
Important: your bank details are encrypted on our third-party servers. Payments are processed via a secured payment platform, involving additional verifications, in order to guarantee the security of purchases made on www.benefitcosmetics.com and combat fraud. The details you provide of your Payment Card when placing an order are always encrypted prior to transit using an SSL (Secure Socket Layer) protocol.
Personal data essential to Benefit Cosmetics is marked with an asterisk on all personal data collection forms on our website, in electronic form at some of our counters and stores, as well as off-line in paper form. If you do not fill in these compulsory fields, Benefit Cosmetics will probably be unable to respond to your request and/or provide you with the requested services. Other information is optional and enables us to get to know you better and improve our communications and services with respect to you.
(ii) We may also collect certain data generated by your purchases of products or services, online or in stores, particularly information regarding the amount and type of your purchases.
(iii) Lastly, we may collect information regarding the use of our website, especially with respect to your browsing (pages visited, links clicked, etc.). Some of this information may be collected using cookies placed in your web browser when you browse our website. For more information about cookies, read point III of this policy.
If you apply for a job with our Company via our website, we may collect the following information:
- Your identity;
- Your contact details;
- Your Curriculum Vitae;
- Your cover letter/application letter
As this data concerns your application, please inform us in writing of any changes to your contact details or, more generally, to your career and employment situation, to help us to manage your application efficiently.
IV. For what purpose is your personal data collected and used?
Benefit Cosmetics processes your data to:
- enable you to create a customer account on our website, applications and at our counters and in our stores;
- manage your access to your customer account on the Internet or our applications;
- connect you to external, third party applications, such as when you create an account using an external application such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, or Twitter;
- process and manage your online orders and their delivery;
- record purchases made at our counters or in our stores;
- secure online transactions, prevent fraud, payment incidents and manage debt collection (see our terms and conditions for more details);
- manage customer relations with respect to any requests for information or complaints you may send us via our website, customer service or social network pages;
- manage our loyalty programme;
- trace and manage any alerts you may send us as part of our cosmetic vigilance obligations;
- manage and optimise your customer experience by improving our knowledge of our customers;
- propose appropriate, tailored services, particularly when we enhance our products and services;
- conduct statistical analyses to develop management, measuring and reporting tools in order to adjust and improve our sales, marketing and product manufacturing;
- subject to your consent, send you information on our offers, news and events on your chosen communication media;
- contact you regarding sweepstakes, contests or competitions that you participate in though our website or our applications;
- manage your participation in any events you have signed up to;
- manage any online job applications.
V. What legal grounds legitimise the processing of your data?
Benefit Cosmetics processes your personal information:
- to perform the contract agreed between yourself and Benefit Cosmetics, to manage your access to your customer account and to process and track your orders;
- within the framework of its legitimate interest for the purposes of marketing management, securing its digital media (websites, applications, etc.) and combatting fraud;
- when you have given your consent for the processing of your data, especially for the purposes of managing our sales prospection, and of your browsing data via cookies, etc.
- within the framework of compliance with our legal obligations, particularly fiscal obligations (conserving purchase invoices) and cosmetic vigilance with regard to Regulation (EU) 1223/2009 of 30 November 2009 on cosmetic products;
VI. Who are the recipients of your personal data?
Your personal data is processed by the personnel of Benefit Cosmetics. We ensure that only authorised persons within Benefit Cosmetics have access to your personal data when this is necessary for the purpose of managing our commercial relations or meeting our legal obligations.
We may also share your personal data with:
- other Benefit Cosmetics subsidiaries domestic or abroad, as well as with our parent company Benefit Cosmetics LLC;
- other entities of the LVMH Group, with some of these entities acting as data processors;
- subcontractors, such as:
- site hosting and maintenance service providers and the providers of our electronic personal data collection solutions at counters and in stores;
- payment service providers;
- anti-fraud service providers;
- logistic service providers;
- marketing solution service providers;
- sales prospection and social network communication service providers;
- customer service providers;
- service providers for managing cosmetic vigilance alerts;
- event organisation service providers;
Lastly, Benefit Cosmetics may need to share your personal data with third parties to meet its legal, regulatory or treaty obligations, or to respond to requests from authorised legal authorities.
With your consent, data regarding your job application may be shared with other companies of the Benefit Cosmetics Group and of the LVMH Group worldwide, for recruitment purposes.
VII. Transferring data abroad
Some recipients of your personal data may be located abroad, including outside of the European Economic Area.
All data transfers outside of the European Economic Area are subject to appropriate guarantees, especially contractual, technical and organisational guarantees, that comply with applicable regulations relating to the protection of personal data.
VIII. How long do we keep your data?
Legal periods of retention defined by Benefit Cosmetics comply with the recommendations of Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada and/or the legal obligations covering Benefit Cosmetics.
IX. What are your rights and how can you exercise them?
Under current regulations, particularly the GDPR, you have the right to access and correct your personal data, request erasure, object to processing on legitimate grounds and obtain limitation or portability, insofar as this is applicable.
You can exercise these rights directly with Benefit by submitting a request at https://privacy.benefitcosmetics.com/.
If, at any time, you no longer wish to receive details of our offers, news and events, you can unsubscribe using the hypertext link provided for this purpose in each email we send you.
You may also lodge a complaint with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.
X. Contact details of the Data Protection Officer (DPO) and your right to lodge a complaint
For all questions relating to the collection and processing of your data by Benefit Cosmetics, you can contact the Benefit Cosmetics Data Protection Officer by submitting a request at https://privacy.benefitcosmetics.com/.
Information on cookie management
This section is dedicated to our policy for managing cookies on the website https://www.benefitcosmetics.com/ca/en-gb.
It has been designed to provide you with information on the origin and use of browsing data processed when you use our website, together with your rights.
What is a cookie?
When you use our website, we may, depending on your choice, place a text file on your terminal (computer, smart phone or tablet) via the web browser.
This text file is a cookie. Throughout the period of validity or registration, it will enable Benefit Cosmetics to identify your terminal during subsequent visits.
Only the entity issuing the cookies is able to read or modify the information they contain.
Below you will find information about the cookies that may be placed on your terminal when you visit the pages of the website https://www.benefitcosmetics.com/ca/en-gb, either by Benefit Cosmetics, or by third parties, together with ways in which you can delete or refuse installation of these cookies.
What is the purpose of the cookies issued on https://www.benefitcosmetics.com/ca/en-gb?
There are several types of cookies, some of which are issued directly by Benefit Cosmetics and its service providers, whilst others may be issued by third parties.
I. Cookies issued by Benefit Cosmetics and its service providers
Different types of cookies may be placed on your terminal whilst you are browsing our website:
(i) "Essential" cookies
These cookies are essential for browsing on our website, especially for the functioning of the order process.
Deletion of these cookies may cause problems with browsing our website and make it impossible for you to place an order.
These cookies are also necessary for tracking the activity of Benefit Cosmetics.
They may be installed on your terminal by Benefit Cosmetics or by its service providers.
(ii) "Analysis and Customisation" cookies
These cookies are not essential for browsing our website, but may help you, for example, to search more effectively and optimise your purchasing experience and help us better target your requirements, improve our offer and optimise the functioning of our website.
(iii) "Advertising" cookies
Cookies may also be used for advertising purposes. These cookies ensure that the adverts you see are the most relevant to you.
What is the benefit of seeing special offers and advertising tailored to your browsing preferences?
The aim is to show you the most relevant offers and advertising. As such, cookie technology enables us to display content, in real-time, that is best suited to your fields of interest, as deduced from your browsing history on our website.
The interest you show in content displayed on your terminal when you consult a website often determines the advertising resources of this site, enabling it to provide its services, which are often supplied free of charge to users. You undoubtedly prefer to see offers and advertising that are relevant to you, rather than content that is of no interest to you at all. Similarly, both Benefit Cosmetics and advertisers want their offers and advertising to be shown to Internet users that are likely to be interested in them.
Important information if you share your terminal with other users
If your terminal is used by several people or when a single terminal has more than one type of browser software, we cannot be sure that the services and advertising sent to your terminal will match your use of the terminal, rather than that of another user.
In this case, sharing use of your terminal with others and deciding on your browser cookie settings are your free choice and your responsibility.
II. Cookies issued by third-party companies
These cookies are not essential for browsing on our website.
On our website, we may include computer applications from third parties that enable you to share our website content with others, inform others that you have been consulting our website or notify them of your opinion concerning content on our site. This particularly concerns use of the "Share" and "Like" buttons featured on social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.
The social network providing these application buttons is likely to identify you via this button, even if you have not used it when browsing our website.
Indeed, this type of application button can enable the social network concerned to track your browsing on our website, simply because your account on the social network in question is enabled on your terminal (a session is open) whilst you are browsing our website.
We have no control over how social networks collect information regarding your browsing on our website and associated with the personal data they hold.
We encourage you to read the privacy policies of the social networks to learn about the purpose, especially advertising, of any browsing information they may collect via these application buttons. These privacy policies should enable you to exercise your choices with respect to these social networks, in particular by changing your account settings.
Visit the websites of the aforementioned social networks for more information about their privacy policies.
III. Managing the cookies placed in your web browser
You can decide whether to allow cookies to be installed on your terminal.
Using the privacy browser extension available on our website, or by changing the settings of your browser software, you can choose whether to accept the installation of cookies on your terminal at any time, simply and free of charge.
(i) Choices offered to you via the cookie consent management tool
The cookie consent management tool enables you to choose the cookies that can be installed on your terminal, except for essential cookies that are required for browsing and placing orders on https://www.benefitcosmetics.com/ca/en-gb, and for managing the activity of Benefit Cosmetics.
If you do not want Benefit Cosmetics to install some or all of the Cookies, you can notify us of your choices via the cookie consent management tool, which can be accessed from the cookie information panel displayed when you first use our website.
(ii) Choices offered by the privacy browser extension
The privacy browser extension enables you to choose the cookies that can be installed on your website, except for essential cookies that are required for browsing and placing orders on https://www.benefitcosmetics.com/ca/en-gb, and for managing the activity of Benefit Cosmetics.
If you do not want Benefit Cosmetics to install some or all of the Cookies, you can notify us of your choices via the privacy browser extension, which can be accessed from the cookie information panel displayed when you first use our website.
(iii)The choices offered to you by your browser software (i.e. Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.)
You can adjust your browser settings as you wish, so that cookies are either (a) accepted and registered on your terminal or (b) refused.
a. Agreeing to Cookies
If your browser software is set to accept the registration of cookies on your terminal, the cookies embedded in the pages and content you have consulted will automatically be registered on your terminal.
b. Refusing Cookies
You can set your browser software so that:
- you systematically refuse the registration of cookies on your terminal.
Important: Any adjustments you may make to the settings in your browser software concerning the acceptance or refusal of cookies may modify your browsing on the Internet and your terms of access to certain services requiring use of these cookies.
For example, by refusing certain essential cookies, you may no longer be able to place orders on our website.
If you choose to refuse the registration of cookies on your terminal or if you delete cookies that are already registered, we decline all responsibility for any consequences relating to the degraded performance of our services resulting from the fact we are unable to register or consult the cookies required for their performance and which you have refused or deleted.
How to exercise your choice, depending on your browser
Settings vary from one type of browser software to another. Details can generally be found in your browser software help menu. We therefore encourage you to look at your settings to find out how you can make choices regarding cookies.
- For Internet Explorer™: https://support.microsoft.com/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
- For Safari: https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/manage-cookies-and-website-data-sfri11471/mac
- For Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647
- For Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences
- For Opera™: https://www.opera.com/help/tutorials/security/privacy/