Last Updated: 3/27/2013
I. Types of Information Collected.
We collect two types of information when you visit Benefit’s Sites: (a) personally identifiable information and (b) non-personally identifiable information.
(1) Personally identifiable information.
Personally identifiable information is any information about you, such as your name, address, telephone number, credit card number and billing information, birth date, email address, profile information, and purchase history. Whether or not you provide your personally identifiable information to us is completely up to you, but if you choose not to provide the information we request, you may be unable to fully enjoy Benefit’s Sites and services, make a purchase or complete a transaction.
(2) Non-personally identifiable information.
Non-personally identifiable information can be technical information or it can be demographic information, such as your age, gender or interests. Non-personally identifiable information does NOT identify you personally.
II. Information Collection Practices.
When you visit Benefit’s Sites, with the help of our third party authorized agents, we may collect information both passively and directly.
(1) Passive Information Collection.
We may collect information passively, while you are visiting or interacting with Benefit’s Sites. We call this “passive” collection since you may not know that this data is being collected when you visit or interact with Benefit’s Sites. This information may consist of the following items: website visitors’ IP address, IP address-related information, system Media Access Control address, network configuration information, network device information, browser plug-in type and versions, and operating system.
Also, we may collect your location if you choose to allow us to track your location through Benefit’s Sites or if your personal or non-personal information indicates a certain geographic location. This information may help us provide recommendations to you based on your location, serve you with advertisements or direct you to a product or service that we believe may be of interest to you and that is marketed to people near your location.
Information that is collected passively may be non-personally identifiable or it may identify you personally. Further, this information may be collected whether you are signed in to Benefit’s Sites or not. The purpose of this data collection is to optimize your experience on Benefit’s Sites, to ensure we are partnering with third parties that offer products and services that are of interest to you, to facilitate a transaction or fulfill the terms of an agreement, or to ensure that the advertisements offered to you are relevant.
(2) Direct Information Collection.
We also may collect information from you directly, at the time that you supply data to us via Benefit’s Sites. This information may be collected in the following instances:
- Purchases. When you place an order through Benefit’s Website, we require that you provide your personally identifiable information, such as your name, email address, shipping/billing address, phone number, credit card number and its expiration date in order to process and track your order. We may also maintain a record of your product purchases.
- Creating an Account. When you create an account on any of Benefit’s Sites, we may ask for your full name and email address. We also ask you to create a password to access your account. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account and password. You do not need an account to make an online purchase, but you will need to create an account to use some of the other features on Benefit’s Sites, such as to participate in the Ratings & Review feature. You can also create an account on Benefit’s Blog by providing a username and your email address.
- Sign-up for Emails and Catalogs. You can sign up on Benefit’s Sites and in Benefit stores to receive promotional emails from us that include the latest information about our new products, exclusive offers, tips and tricks and more. If you sign up for emails, we will ask you for your email address, name and country location. If you sign up to receive our catalog, we will ask for your name, mailing address, email address and other optional information regarding your preferences and interests.
- Facebook Applications. When you use one of our applications on Facebook, we will request your permission to access certain personally identifiable information on Facebook, such as your name, profile picture, gender, networks, user ID, list of friends, and other profile information. Depending on the application, you may have the opportunity to post reviews, questions, answers and other content to the application. You can change certain settings relating to these applications through your account and privacy settings on Facebook.
- Feedback. If you contact us to give us feedback or ask questions about Benefit’s Sites or any of Benefit’s services or products, we may store your communications, including any personally identifiable information you include in them, so we can effectively respond to you.
The above list provides examples of how we may collect personally identifiable information from Benefit’s Sites. If you do not want us to collect your personally identifiable information, please do not provide it on Benefit’s Sites.
III. Use of Information.
We collect information to serve you better and to provide you with a customized experience while using Benefit’s Sites. Here are some examples of how we may use your personally identifiable information and non-personally identifiable information:
(1) Personally identifiable information.
We may use your personally identifiable information in the following instances:
- to fulfill a request from you, such as to send you catalogs, promotional emails or email notifications, fulfill and deliver your orders, tell you about our new products, services and offers, respond to your comments, feedback or questions, contact you if necessary while processing an order, and generate web analytics to compile user data for marketing purposes. If you would rather not receive promotional emails from us, please see the section titled “Opting Out” below.
- to request feedback and to enable us to develop, customize and improve Benefit’s Sites and our publications and products;
- to conduct marketing analysis and to send you surveys or newsletters;
- to contact or alert you about Benefit’s Sites, or any products, activities, special events or offers from us or our partners; and/or to contact or alert you for other marketing, informational, product development or promotional purposes;
- to keep track of any purchase made by you and/or notify you of any product or service we believe may be of interest to you;
- if necessary, to facilitate or assist with any transaction between you and any of our affiliates or with any other website that is affiliated or related to us;
- to contact you about your use of Benefit’s Sites, or to otherwise respond to your emails, submissions, comments, requests or complaints, including customer support inquiries or questions about our products or services;
- to tie it to your non-personally identifiable information or demographic information in order to provide you with recommendations for products or services that are based on your interests, purchase history, your age or your location;
- to combine the personally identifiable information you provide us with other personal and non-personally identifiable information about you (such as demographic and past purchase information) from our records and from other sources, such as address update services, to use for future marketing initiatives and to help us improve Benefit’s Sites and your overall shopping experience;
- in the event you purchase a product or service, we may use your personally identifiable information to process your order, complete a transaction or perform after-sales services;
- to administer Benefit’s Sites, anticipate and resolve problems with these sites; to store contacts you enter or upload into your contacts list for your private use and viewing;
- to connect you to external, third party applications, such as when you create an account using an external application such as Facebook or Twitter;
- to contact you regarding any promotion, sweepstakes or contest that you participate in through Benefit’s Sites; and
- for other purposes about which we notify you.
(2) Non-personally identifiable information.
Non-personally identifiable information is used in correlation with personally identifiable information, in order to fulfill transactions, provide you with a requested service, for research and market development, or in other ways as permitted by applicable laws, including combining non-personally identifiable information with personally identifiable information.
IV. Sharing of Information.
(1) Personally identifiable information.
- To complete your purchase. If you choose to make a purchase on Benefit’s Sites, we may collect from you your credit card number, billing address and other information related to such purchase, and we may use such collected information in order to fulfill your purchase. We may also provide such information, or other personally identifiable information provided by you, to unaffiliated third parties as necessary to complete your purchase (for example, to process your credit card).
- From time to time, Benefit’s Sites may include collaboration features that by their nature support sharing with users you choose. Those users can see your name, email address, information you add to your profile, and any files you choose to share; and they can post comments and email you.
- On occasion we may also share a portion of our postal mailing list (which includes our customers’ names and postal addresses) with other companies or organizations that want to market products or services to you. We may also share your name, postal address and transactional information (including information about your past purchases but not any payment information) with third parties for marketing purposes, unless you direct us not to (see “Opting Out” section below). Also, we may share your personally identifiable information (either alone or in combination with non-personally identifiable information and/or demographic information) with affiliates, strategic partners, agents, third party marketers or other unaffiliated parties who are offering products or services that we believe may be of interest to you or who require your personally identifiable information for research, administrative and/or internal business purposes. These parties may use this information to contact you with an offer or advertisement related to a product or service, or they may use such information for their own research, administration or business purposes. If you do not want us to share your personally identifiable information in this manner, please do not provide us with this information. We do not ever rent or sell your email address with these organizations or with other third parties for marketing purposes, without putting you on notice.
- We may be required to share your personally identifiable information in order to fulfill a service to you. For example, if you register on Benefit’s Sites, we may have to share your personal and/or non-personally identifiable information with third parties in order to provide content to you that we believe may be of interest to you.
- We also may have to share your personally identifiable information if you choose to enter a sweepstakes or contest in order to fulfill the terms of that promotion. This means that we may share the information for prize fulfillment purposes or mail carriers. We also may share your information with the co-sponsor of that promotion or to market the prize distribution.
- We may have to share your information with unaffiliated third-party service providers, agents or independent contractors who help us maintain Benefit’s Sites and provide other administrative services to us (including, but not limited to providing customer service, maintaining and analyzing data, sending customer communications on our behalf, and entry collection, winner selection and prize fulfillment for contests, sweepstakes and other promotions). We seek to ensure that these unaffiliated third parties will not use the personally identifiable information for any other purpose than to provide the administrative services for which they are responsible. Because the unaffiliated third-party service providers that help us administer Benefit’s Sites and will have access to users' personally identifiable information, if you do not wish for these unaffiliated third-party service providers to have access to your information, please do not register or submit any personally identifiable information to us.
- We may share personally identifiable information and/or non-personally identifiable information in order to track and analyze usage and volume statistical information from our visitors and customers and provide such information to third parties.
- For fraud protection and compliance with law, we may disclose any information, including personally identifiable information, that we deem necessary.
(2) Non-personally identifiable information.
V. Information on Public Areas of Benefit’s Sites.
Any information you submit in a public area of Benefit’s Sites – such as on a social media page, user comments, comments on Benefit’s Blog, reviews or comments on the Ratings & Reviews feature, questions or answers on the Ask & Answer application or any other public forum - will not be treated as confidential and may be publicly disclosed. This applies to personally identifiable information, as well as non-personally identifiable information, so please consider your public postings before doing so. Additionally, information posted on social media pages will be subject to the terms governing those pages and websites.
VI. Location Services.
Benefit’s Applications may include features that can provide you with location-based information if you tell us where you are (i.e., by allowing your mobile device to send us your location). If you want to deactivate this feature, please contact your carrier for information on how you can disable location services on your mobile device.
VII. Protecting Kids’ Privacy.
Benefit’s Sites are not intended for children. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children, and none of the Benefit Sites are designed to attract children. Children under 13 may look at Benefit’s Sites, but are not permitted to make a purchase, create an account, enter a promotion, submit a customer survey, sign-up for emails or post comments on Benefit’s Blog or on Benefit’s Applications. If we discover someone under the age of 13 has created an account or has otherwise provided us with their personal information, no matter how adorable they might be, we will remove their personally identifiable registration information from our records. If you are under 13 and would like to make a purchase, please ask a parent or legal guardian to place the order for you.
VIII. Protecting Your Security.
Security for Benefit’s Sites is in accordance with industry standards to protect the security of your personal information both online and offline. Personally identifiable information is stored on computer servers in a controlled environment that is reasonably protected from unauthorized misuse or disclosure. We use available technology and other techniques to implement systems like firewalls, and/or encryption to secure marketing data transfers.
Orders placed on Benefit’s Website are encrypted using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology, an industry standard that is used by vendors to ensure the security of online business. It negotiates and employs the essential functions of mutual authentication, data encryption, and data integrity for secure transactions.
We take special steps to safeguard your personal information and since your password is protected, only you can access your account information. We recommend that you keep your password private and always sign-off of your account and close your browser when you are finished shopping. If you have any questions about security on our website, please email email@example.com.
IX. Opting Out.
If you would like to opt out of receiving promotional emails from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions located at the bottom of each email.
If you would like to opt out of receiving direct email, mail, mobile marketing or telephone marketing calls from us, or if you prefer that we not share your personal information with third parties for marketing purposes, please send your request, including your name, email address, street address, city, state, and zip code, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (please use the subject line: Privacy Opt-Out Request). We are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent improperly, or do not have complete information. We will process your request within 30 days of the date we receive your request, but you may, in the meantime, receive previously scheduled emails, mail or calls from us. Once you have opted out, you do not need to do so again.
X. Changing, Updating or Deleting Personal Information.
You can update, change or delete certain personally identifiable information (such as your email address, mailing address and payment method) on Benefit’s Website by clicking “My Account” in the menu at the top of each page on Benefit’s Website.
You can also update or change your email address by clicking “Update Profile” at the bottom of each promotional email you receive from us.
If you are a registered user of Benefit’s Blog, you can update, change or delete certain personal information (such as your name, email address and other profile information) on Benefit’s Blog, by clicking “Edit Your Profile” at the top left of each page on Benefit’s Blog (you have to be logged in first).
In the event that all or part of our assets are sold or acquired by another party, or in the event of a merger, you grant us the right to assign the personally identifiable and non-personally identifiable information collected via the Sites.
XIII. Governing Law.
XIV. Contact Us.
Benefit Cosmetics LLC
225 Bush Street
San Francisco, California 94104
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Beginning on January 1, 2005, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits our visitors who are California residents to request certain information regarding Benefit's disclosure of personally identifiable information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us at the address provided in Section XIV, above.